For people with Type I or Type II diabetes, healthy eating starts with healthy shopping. Preparing a shopping list and planning before heading to the grocery store will keep you focused on buying healthy ingredients that will help keep your blood sugar under control.
Benefits to Healthy Eating
There are many benefits to eating healthy for those with diabetes including stronger mental awareness, increased resistance to illness and disease, higher energy levels, faster recuperation times and better management of chronic health problems.
Tips for Healthy Eating and Shopping
There are many tips for grocery shopping that will help you in a healthy way:
- Never go grocery shopping on an empty stomach. When you are hungry, foods you might not ordinarily consider can be very tempting, so going shopping right after a meal or snack.
- Plan your menu for the week. Start with planning dinners as they require the most planning. Breakfast and lunch tend to be easier because these meals do not change much from day to day.
- Spend extra time in the produce department. It is important to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables. To supplement your fresh vegetables with low-sodium canned vegetables and frozen vegetables that are cut and ready to cook.
- Learn to ready food labels. The most important tool for shopping is the nutrition label. Reading food labels will make it easy to compare and find foods that have the nutrition value right for you.
- Treat yourself. There are many sugar-free foods that can satisfy your sweet tooth and help you control your blood sugar. These “treats” can help you stay on track with your nutrition and diabetes goals.