Ensuring that you or a loved one remains healthy in their post-acute care community should be a priority. Infections can easily be spread among people and equipment in care communities due to the resident population, unique challenges, and care settings.
Annually, there are as many as 380,000 deaths and rehospitalizations occur due to health-care-associated infections. To stay ahead of the infectious disease outbreak, check out some of the tips and advice below:
- Wash your hands often and thoroughly – After using the restroom and before eating are critical times to remember to wash your hands. Make sure to wash for more than 20 seconds under warm water and plenty of soap to get rid of the germs effectively.
- Do not share personal items with others – Sharing is not always caring. Keeping your belongings close and to yourself is essential to ensure that you do not get infected with germs that others may have. Germs hitch rides on all sorts of substances and materials, which is why it is best to keep your things to yourself.
- Keep open sores and cuts covered – Leaving a wound uncovered may elongate the healing process and cause pain as the open-air will dry out new surface cells. Covering your injuries will protect the area from dirt and germs and make you and others around you more comfortable.
- Do not eat or touch food that has already been eaten – Eating from a plate that someone has already touched can expose you to germs that you otherwise would not have been exposed to and can lower your immune system. It is best only to eat what is given to you and not venture out to a different plate.
- If antibiotics are necessary, be sure to take them as your doctor prescribes – It is a common misconception that you can stop taking your prescribed medication once you start to feel better. It is essential to take your medication as prescribed to ensure that the infection goes away and stays away.
Infectious diseases can become deadly, especially for seniors. It is important to consider these tips for infection control to maintain a healthy and happy lifestyle.
At South Coast Post Acute, we take pride in our commitment to cleanliness to ensure the safety of our patients. We believe the true power of healing lies not only in the tools and knowledge of medicine but also in the hearts of people. It is our mission to deliver an unparalleled passion and commitment to ensure our patients receive exceptional, compassionate care; every time, every touch. South Coast Post Acute is the post-acute community of choice in Southern California.
Real People. Remarkable Care. South Coast Post Acute.